Thursday, March 29, 2012

Metal Gear...In HD? Part 1


You think he is cool now?
Just wait till he is naked.
The Metal Gear franchise is one of my favorite franchises (if not my favorite). So when I heard that Konami was bringing Metal Gear Solid 2, 3, and Peace Walker to PS3 and 360 in glorious HD I could not wait to get my hands on some of my favorite games again. Plus being a total trophy whore didn't hurt either since I love that each game comes with its own trophies and platinum's. Unfortunately I was not able to play as much as I would have like until recently, since I had been busy with looking for a job and what not.


I spent my spring break dog sitting and catching up on games and this was the perfect time for me to playthrough MGS2. I was not going to just rush through this as quickly as possible, because I had played through these before and wanted to take it slow and try and find some of the little hidden things I might not have noticed or done before. For starters I actually tried collecting the dog tags in the game. Some how in my mind I thought MSG2 was an easy game or something and forgot how if you have not played it in a while there are a lot of things you need to adjust to. This includes the fixed camera, stopping to shoot, and proper sneaking without being able to use camo. Don't get me wrong though these are not things I hate about the game or don't like. I love just about every aspect of every main series Metal Gear game, including the long cutscenes and crazy story.
nothing says fun more like being held up in mini bar
Working my way through the game it didn't take me to long to notice how great the voice acting and how horrible the lip syncing is. I really didn't mind it all to much since I knew games of that time were not really ever good at lip syncing since it was not done all that much before. Still it does take me a bit out of the experience when the graphics, story, and gameplay are all so good. One more little weird change to this game they did for the HD collection along with MGS3 is the circle button use to be the enter button while the the X button use to be the back or cancel button now they flipped them so people who have not played them before would not have to adjust. Still it makes fans like me a bit confused at first. Like I said no big deal it is not like it breaks anything.

So when I mentioned I was a trophy whore and I was excited about playing these games again to get the trophies, well that was because of how awesome the trophies are not just in how you unlock them, but in the naming as well. Seriously many of these made me play the game in a way I never had before in my many play through s. These ranged from me kissing posters on lockers as I hide in them (Snake Beater&Kissing Booth) and listening to a soldier having diarrhea instead of listening to an important conversation or protecting someone (Johhny On The Spot).

I really have to hand it to Kojima Productions and Bluepoint Games for really delivering on the perfect MGS2 experience including all the extras in substance except the skate boarding mini game where you get to skate all around big shell as Snake and Raiden.... Actually never mind me not caring that was a hilarious and awesome extra WHY THE HELL WAS THAT NOT INCLUDED!? IT IS METAL GEAR SOLID CHARACTERS SKATEBOARDING!!!  In all seriousness I had a great time and hope to spend even more time with the game in the future playing the snake tales extra missions and VR missions.
This+HD=???
I am now working through MGS3 and will report back when I have finished the game. Let me know what you think in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment